Tuesday 16 August 2011

The great outdoors

Ask anyone who knows me, I am a girl who enjoys her creature comforts. This is not to say I don't enjoy going out into the great outdoors, just so long as there is a hot shower waiting for me when I return to my (preferably) climate controlled abode. Given this insight into my psyche, it is not surprising that when a work friend said we should try a new, trendy cantina called Bivouac my trepidation was evident.

Wikipedia defines bivouac:

bivouac (pronounced /ˈbɪvuːæk/ biv-oo-ak) traditionally refers to a military encampment made with tents or improvised shelters, usually without shelter or protection from enemy fire or such a site where a camp may be built.[1] It is also commonly used to describe a variety of improvised camp sites such as those used in scouting and mountain climbing. It may often refer to sleeping in the open with a bivouac sack, but it may also refer to a shelter constructed of natural materials like a structure of branches to form frame may be utilized, which is then covered with leavesferns and similar for waterproofing and duff (also known as leaflitter) for insulation.
As a verb, to bivouac (alternatively bivouacked, bivouacking, bivouacs also bivouacks) is to set up or camp in any such improvised camp.

As a result I had visions of us sitting on milk crates (not that I have anything against milk crates, I know one hip Leederville establishment that uses them effectively) in a warehouse style establishment being served food (aka gruel) from bubbling vats, whilst drinking cask wine in paper cups. Okay, I might be exaggerating slightly but I was rather concerned. If I had not been discussing the intricacies of Jones v Dunkel with one friend as we walked into the William St establishment my relief would probably have been apparent. As it was, I broke off my conversation to admire the decor. There is a certain amount of utilitarianism in the set up at Bivouac, the seats and tables are non-descript and the walls are a stark white, but this is offset by a simple bar above which hangs two modern 'candelabras' and the artwork of Anya Brock that dominates one length of the cantina's walls.  Anya's works are large, gregarious canvas paintings of birds (the ones with feathers) in bright, almost neon, colours. The artwork combined with the retro lighting and pared down essentials are just the right side of modern without being cold or uninviting.

The bar - including retro candelabras 

I was equally impressed with the menu. Everything from the 'smalls' (a selection of small plates to share) to 'bigs' (main meals to be shared or ordered per person) sounded mouth watering. I did not pay much attention to the wine list except to note with pleasure that it included not one, but three choices of cider.





Some of Anya Brock's colourful birds


Deciding that work mates who shared together, cared together, my friends and I decided to share two small plates and one pizza. We ordered the grilled haloumi, fig, pomegranate and pine nut salad, the trio of arancini and the chorizo and potato pizza.




Trio of arancini


The arancini arrived first. There were three flavours but the obvious standout was the truffle/mushroom one. Unlike most arancini it had a crunchy rather than soft interior and the flavour was delicate rather than the cheesy flavour I have come to expect with most arancini. It was definitely the winner with my two work mates as well. The haloumi and fig salad was quick to follow and did not disappoint. The haloumi and figs were still warm and the combination of crunchy pomegranate, soft, salty haloumi, sweet fig and subtle nut flavour of the pinenuts was marvelous!

The menu

Our empty plates were cleared and the pizza arrived. The pizza base was wonderfully fresh and, although up until now I had always preferred thin crust, I delighted in the floury, soft texture. The chorizo and potato were applied thinly to the pizza which some people might find lacking but I enjoyed as it allowed the base and accompanying sauce to shine. On top of the wonderful food the service was efficient and friendly. I honestly couldn't fault Bivouac in anyway, in fact I was back within a week to enjoy the experience all over again.

My ratings:

Style: modern, casual dining
Food: 4/5
Wine list: 4/5
Service: 4/5

Eggplant, pumpkin, haloumi and green olive pizza
Haloumi and fig salad

No comments:

Post a Comment