Monday 1 August 2011

How to enjoy Indian food for dummies

I was not standing in line when they handed out the gene for enjoying spicy/hot/chilli food. When I was younger the mere sight of a peppercorn would send me rushing, gasping for a cold glass of water (of course at that age I didn't know that the appropriate antidote for spicy food is in fact rice, bread or any form of 'sopping' agent and that water serves only to exacerbate), now I can manage the mildest of spicy food. As a result I have always been on the reticent side when it comes to eating Indian food.

This view was reinforced a couple of years ago when I visited Chutney Mary's in Subiaco. I was there under duress and unable to find anything on the menu that sounded promising I asked the waiter (in something approaching desperation) what the mildest dish on their menu was. I was duly informed that the Butter Chicken was exceptionally mild and I would enjoy it. Unfortunately the chef's idea of mild did not coincide with my own and after no more than a couple of mouthfuls, I resorted to eating rice for the rest of the evening. Now don't get me wrong, I love the flavour of Indian food! Its full of creamy yumminess and can be extremely subtle both in flavour and texture. What I hate is the fact that after a few mouthfuls I am no longer able to taste any of these wonderful flavours.

Enough moaning, the reason I am posting this entry is that I recently discovered a most wonderful Indian restaurant. The Curry Tree is on Broadway in Nedlands. It used to be Greco's on Broadway which (due to my brother working there for a time) became somewhat of a family haunt, a ye old faithful to take Nanna for Sunday lunch safe in the knowledge that the food would be okay and the bill wouldn't break the bank. Hence on a particularly wet and windy Wednesday night, it was the obvious choice for a 'family dinner' out. Imagine our surprise when we find that 'Greco's' is no more and in its place is The Curry Tree, a brightly but tastefully coloured restaurant, with linen on the table and a menu chock full of curries and other delightful temptations.





I groaned inwardly when I saw the menu - how to navigate this menu of kormas, rogan josh and vindaloos? After my last experience I decided not to go with the Butter Chicken and instead went for the vegetarian korma which was described as a mild, creamy, peanutty curry. When our dishes came out I couldn't believe what I had been missing all the years! The food was amazing a better yet it was mild! We started by sharing two entrees, the tandoori salmon and cornflake battered prawn cutlets. The salmon was a little overdone for my taste but was beautifully flavoured whilst the prawns' batter was wonderfully light and the dipping sauce (semi sweet and plum flavoured) went with them perfectly.


My brother had ordered the Butter Chicken and not only was it not spicy at all it was the most amazing flavour with hints of tomatoes in the creamy sauce. My vegetarian korma was just as described and the roti and paratha we ordered to go with the dishes were hot and buttery.

I have been raving to everyone (whose ear I can bend for a few minutes) about our wonderful discovery. Already I have my girlfriends organised for our next dinner out and we even took Nanna there for Sunday lunch!!

Style: upper market but relaxed dinning
Ambiance: 3/5
Service: 3/5
Wine list: 4/5
Food: 3.5/5

DL

No comments:

Post a Comment